Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Amanda Lawrence - Pretty Girl - Step by Step

I love seeing others creative process. I find it so interesting to see how other peoples pages come together and how they go about creating them. With this in mind I thought I would take a few progress shots and make a mini tutorial for how I created my latest Memory Maze project. 

Pretty Girl


Firstly I'll show you the finished layout and then break it down step by step below. 


I started by giving my chipboard pieces a coat of paint using a Distress Paint dabber in pewter. Using a metallic is always a great option when you are not sure which of the colours from your scheme will work best. 


I painted up both the frame and the word 'pretty' which I will use as part of my title later.


I wanted to make the most of my background paper with it's doily elements so I cut some circles of paper from a contrast colour to fit in the centres. To make them pop from the background I lightly distressed the edges and then sewed a circle of handstitching about 1/4" in from the edge.


I wanted to use this vine as the basis for my floral cluster, so I simply bent it to fit the same curve as the chipboard frame.


I pulled more flowers from my stash in my chosen colour palette and worked my way around the vine, filling in the blank spaces. I have used quite bulky flowers but you could achieve the same look with flatter ones. The end of the vine looked a little odd so I covered it with a big floppy bow tied from some hand dyed seam binding.  


I added my title to one of the other doily sections of the background and balanced the layout by adding a smaller cluster of flowers here. To even out the tone I dry brushed some gesso over all the flowers and leaves on the page. 


As a finishing touch I coloured some chipboard butterflies with my silver metallic sharpie pen and scattered them throughout the flowers. 

It was really a fun layout to put together and quite simple when you break down the steps. 

Memory Maze products:

Frame - VOW11
Sunshine Word Sheet (pretty word) - S0787
Micro Butterflies

Other products used:

Bazzil cardstock, Crate Paper Maggie Holmes papers, Manor House Creations vine, Kaisercraft & D-lish Scraps flowers, thread, gesso, AC Thickers, seam binding.

Thanks for stopping by and I really hoped you enjoyed seeing my creative process.

Amanda x


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/27/2013

    absolutely gorgeous! love the colour palette too! ~Kate McCulloch

    ReplyDelete
  2. stunning, totally stunning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally gorgeous Amanda thanks for the tut

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda that is beautiful,fancy you having a little sewing on it tooo (lololo) It makes it so much
    more interesting knowing how you did it.
    You have raised the bar,girls are you up to the challenge???

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always good to see how other people create step by step. Your layout is lovely,

    ReplyDelete